ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Inconsistencies?
Date Mon, 18 Sep 2000 07:07:07 GMT

 NS> 1. Property uses (if specified) all three ways of defining a
 NS> property; in the ant-task in reInit (seems to be used if ant is
 NS> executed twice) the behaviour is different

Yes, going to remove to "else"s 8^).

 NS> 2. Conversion from String to boolean is done in severeal places
 NS> (and in different ways).

For historical reasons. I think the places that don't use
Project.toBoolean have been there first. Then Project.toBoolean was
invented and most new tasks used it. When IntrospectionHelper got into
the game, Project.toBoolean became obsolete in most cases - as you can
now have a setXXX(boolean vale) attribute setter that will invoke
Project.toBoolean behind the scenes.

To really make all tasks consistent, all setters that convert their
argument to booleans themselves should take a boolean argument
instead. Same holds true for all setters that convert from String to
File BTW.

All remaining cases should be converted to use Project.toBoolean
instead.

This is a "should" not a "must". The general approach I've taken so
far is to convert the tasks that I need to touch anyway and don't
change those I had no other reason to tinker.

Do others feel a major cleanup step would be needed?

Stefan