ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Where to place stand alone data types like <path>?
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2000 12:46:15 GMT
If you look at Ant's own build.xml, you can see that the PatternSet
with the id "chmod.patterns" is defined in a <chmod> task in target
main and referenced twice later on. This makes the <chmod> in main
special.

I feel, it would be much more natural to define the patternset
somewhere outside the task and use a <patternsetref> in the first
<chmod> as well. The same holds true for FileSets or PATH like
structures that get used more than once.

I've added infrastructure needed to have <path>, <patternset> and
<fileset> elements in the build.xml with my last patch. Only
ProjectHelper is not aware of this yet.

Given that the reference mechanism in Ant is a global one (and
antstructure claims it would sit on top of the XML ID attribute type -
which means the id must be unique 8^), I'd say make <path> and friends
a sibling of <target> and only allow them to be placed there and not
inside of <target>s. This would avoid the confusion of <property> as
well.

What do you think?

Stefan