ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Commandline-Handling for external compilation
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2000 15:07:01 GMT

 DW> Nico Seessle wrote:

 >> I can currently think of three ways solving this problem:

(became 6 ;-)

 DW> 7. Try to compile and check if there is an exception thrown that
 DW> states that the comandline was too long and then write the files
 DW> to compile into a temporary file and rerun the compile.

It could be difficult to identify an exception as one of the type
CommandLineTooLong. I think Windows just gives us a "could not create
process" without too many information.

Other than that I guess the performance tradeoff won't be that bad as
the first try would work out most of the time for almost everybody and
we'd actually avoid a couple of tests.

So catch everything and retry with the temporary file solution?

Stefan