ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Ant-Extension-Mechanism - Step 1
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2000 11:06:25 GMT

 CM> Nico, I have had a quick look at your post and I have a few
 CM> questions.

I haven't even found the time for this, sorry.

 CM> A task along the lines of Stefan's war tsk may be more
 CM> appropriate. It doesn't try to build the deployment descriptor -
 CM> it just assembles the war from a set of distributed pieces.

I was tempted to automate writing the deployment descriptor as well
(and if it only was to shorten the syntax). I've made it the way it is,
because I didn't want to add numerous nested elements to the task just
to duplicate a structure that could as well be written out
directly. I.e. I came to the same conclusion as you.

 CM> but I am curous as to why the servlet spec uses WEB-INF for wars?

Especially since servlet containers must hide META-INF directories if
they exist as well.

I guess they wanted to physically separate the information about the
JAR itself (everything with regard to signing the JAR for example)
from the information about the web application contained.

Stefan