ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant Main.java Project.java
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2000 07:22:04 GMT

 KW> I'm worried that we keep adding subtle variations of the same
 KW> thing just to meet a specific need.

Thanks for getting us back to the primary goals of Ant, Ken.

I'm more than reluctant to add anything that affects the core of
Ant. Searching upwards for build.xml is a border case.

It is useful for a lot of people I know - those using (X)Emacs/JDE can
now simply say "build using make" and set the make command to ant and
it will always pick up build.xml without the need to explicitly
specify the -buildfile switch, for example.

On the other hand you could view this as a gimmick that's not really
needed, because you could always use -buildfile and don't have to rely
on implicit behavior.

I'm willing to remove this functionality again if this would open the
way for everybody's "yet another feature".

Adding all tasks as they come is more of "give them a home until we
have the extension task mechanism in place". Actually I'm even
thinking about removing all tasks that are not really part of the core
and move them to a new jakarta-ant-tasks project. But this is only
thinking loud for the moment.

And yes, I'll keep fighting duplication wherever possible.

Stefan