ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Overwriting Properties
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2000 09:58:13 GMT

 NS> Is there a summary available with the decisions (made by you/the
 NS> list) on the "change of property behaviour"?

If you are talking about upcoming changes, the only thing that seems
to be decided - and this is where I want to get my hands dirty next -
is that ${} replacement should happen at runtime, not at parser time.

The next thing I want to change is that the property task does its job
in execute. This means <property> elements inside of targets will
behave more like one would expect them to do. They'd take effect when
the corresponding target is run, not at parse time.

I'm not sure whether all commiters would agree with a change like
this, the only alternative I see - and this would break a *lot* of
build files - is to force <property> elements to be placed outside of
targets. Keeping the current confusing behavior is not really an
option IMHO.

 NS> - For "called" build-files properties should maybe get overridden
 NS> iff they are nested inside the ant-task, but not if they are
 NS> declared in the sub-build-file on a global level?

I tend to agree. This would make the properties nested into the ant
task similar to those set on the command line (user properties in Ant
speak).

But letting the properties of the parent build file taking precedence
over those of sub builds has been the major reason for making
properties immutable in the first place. Maybe those who made these
changes back in May could shed some light on this.

Stefan