ant-dev mailing list archives

From dona...@mad.scientist.com
Subject Re: Problems with long paths in Tar task
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 07:44:15 GMT
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Marcel Schutte wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just stumbled on a hard 100 character limitation for the combined path and
> filename of a tar entry. Its existence is more than obvious from the ant
> code, but a solution seems a lot less simple. A bit of searching gave me the
> following link (http://www.gnu.org/manual/tar/html_mono/tar.html#SEC112),
> where there is an explanation of the difference between POSIX and GNU
> versions of tar.
>
> Does anyone know whether there is -one- way of handling longer paths in
> tars? I am willing to do some coding, but I want to be sure of the specs to
> follow.

DAMN !

Thanks I just been trying to figure out why two files were
included in zip and not tar and this is it. Unfortuantely I
do not think there is any solution as such - the way gnu-tar
does it is a hack and will go away in future but POSIX
compliance is again found to a lacking quality :(.

Cheers,

Pete

| Latrobe University,     | Does the name 'Pavlov' |
| Bundoora, Australia     |    ring a bell ?       |