ant-dev mailing list archives

From dona...@mad.scientist.com
Subject Re: Defining task-specific properties - what "namespace" should I use?
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2000 06:08:03 GMT
On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Nico Seessle wrote:
> If I'm going to define use properties for some other tasks (currently the
> VSS one's as I'm extending these to also do history, checkout/in, label)
> should I use "what I like" or should I (we) define that every task which
> chooses to also accept properties as it's attributes should use something
> like "ant.<defined task name>.theProperyName" (or something else?).

sounds good.

> As an addition this could be further extended in a way that a task doesn't
> need to look for the property explicitly, but ant could use these properties
> to configure the tasks if the attribute is not explicitly set in the
> build.xml. I know that one could do this by defining a property and using
> 'attribute="${property}"' so this would not really be an addition to ant and
> therefor many people possibly won't like it :-)

what you are talking about has been proposed before and many
people said it would be a good thing. Basically it equates
to CSS for ant build.xml sheets. The problem is that it
increases difficulty of learning ant and only the most
complex projects gain anything from using it.

Much like make has IMake/automake/etc ant can have
equivelent front ends - many people have asked to make ant
just another programming language (like xslt) and others
like you think it should be styled. I agree these are
beneficial things in some cases but I doubt they will ever
make the ant code base because they are not

* simple to use
* simple to understand

Thou I would love a front end (AdamAnt ???) that used this
CSS + adamant.xml -> build.xml and pass it through ant. Of
course no intermediate file need be created and in theory
you could stream SAX events between AdamAnt and Ant. So if
you want to do it go for it - but don't make Ant do it make
something built ontop of ant do it :P

> Even if you don't like it I would like a suggestion on "what property-name
> should I use if my task would like to use one" because the VSS-tasks would
> mostly use the same settings for 'ssdir' (specifiying the location of VSS)
> and 'login' (the username/password) to use for access and it seems much less
> error-prone to specify these only once.
>
> What's your opinion?

I like but please make it a tool built on top of Ant if you
do it :P

Cheers,

Pete

| Latrobe University,     | Does the name 'Pavlov' |
| Bundoora, Australia     |    ring a bell ?       |