ant-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <Barrie.Trel...@camtech.com.au>
Subject Re: Autoconf-like features in Ant (or elsewhere)?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2000 02:12:19 GMT
On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Felciano, Ramon wrote:

> Hi --
>
> I realize this is probably beyond the scope of Ant, but I'm wondering
> whether there are any plans for configuration testing features to go into
> Ant.
>
> - Checking versions of installed software (JDK, Apache, MySQL, etc.)
> - Checking versions of installed schemas (MySQL, LDAP, etc.)
> - Checking settings in other config files (httpd.conf, etc.)
> - Checking access controls (Web or DB login privileges, etc.)
> - Checking basic hardware attributes (file system privileges, free disk
> space, etc.)
> - Checking JARs in classpath
> - Updating properties files based on certain install-time checked values
>
> This is not traditionally in the realm of build-tools. However, it seems
> like many of the existing configuration tools (autoconf, metaconf) focus a
> fair amount of energy in reconfiguring source code files based on
> configuration-specific settings in order to build a particular piece of
> software that will run in that configuration. Much of that is taken care of
> for us by using Java in the first place, so I thought some of the remaining
> tasks (as outlined above) could be rolled into Ant or a similar tool.

I would say these issues are installation problems and not build
problems.

The reason that they exist in other tools is because of the non-java
nature and they often need to modify source in order to compile on the
target machine.

With java most of these issues become a configuration issue after
deployment on the target machine and by writing your code to be
customizable at deploy time most of these issues disappear.

A decent installation program should handle the rest of the issues.

Barrie
--
Barrie Treloar

  Barrie Treloar                      Phone: +61 8 8303 3300
  Senior Analyst/Programmer           Fax:   +61 8 8303 4403
  Electronic Commerce Division        Email: barrie@camtech.com.au
  Camtech (SA) Pty Ltd                http://www.camtech.com.au
 --- Level 8, 10 Pulteney Street, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia. ---