ant-dev mailing list archives

From Barrie Treloar <Barrie.Trel...@camtech.com.au>
Subject Re: Path like structures (and extending their contents)
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2000 04:12:45 GMT
On 4 Sep 2000, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

>  BT> I have two classpaths; one for compiling the classes and another
>  BT> for compiling the test classes.
>
>  BT> If I want to include the first classpath in the test class path I
>  BT> find that the existing <classpath> tag does not allow this.  This
>  BT> is because Path is still being worked on.
>
> I've been thinking of having a refid or similar attribute to
> pathelement. What scared me of - and this is why I didn't want to
> implement it right away - was how to avoid infinite recursion.

I like the idea of being able to define paths globally instead of in
tasks.

I would like to be able to include a path within another path.  This
would be useful for all path like structures.

I'm not happy with all the *ref tags being created, they dont feel
right.  I'm not sure what are the best alternatives to replace it.

A possible alternative is that path can include other path like
structures within it and this will cause the referenced path values to
be included in the final path.

This could be achieved by deleting the *ref tasks and moving the refid
tag into the actual task.  Paths with refid's are not allowed to have
any body, that is they must be one line tags.

For example:

<path id="firstPath">
        <pathelement .../>
</path>

# secondPath will include the path values from firstPath
<path id="secondPath>
        <path refid="firstPath"/>
        <pathelement .../>
</path>

# and to use it in a target
<target>
        <javac>
                <classpath>
                        <path refid="secondPath/>
                        # extend the path with more information
                        <pathelement .../>
                </classpath>
        </javac>
</target>

Barrie
--
Barrie Treloar

  Barrie Treloar                      Phone: +61 8 8303 3300
  Senior Analyst/Programmer           Fax:   +61 8 8303 4403
  Electronic Commerce Division        Email: barrie@camtech.com.au
  Camtech (SA) Pty Ltd                http://www.camtech.com.au
 --- Level 8, 10 Pulteney Street, Adelaide SA 5000, Australia. ---