ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <co...@ebinteractive.com.au>
Subject RE: Redirecting output and background processes
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2000 03:23:45 GMT

> > Conor has some stuff in his "unfinished works" that would allow any
> > task to be called in a different thread than the main build
> > process. I'm not sure whether Ant would keep running while one thread
> > in the same JVM is waiting on Runtime.exec to finish on all OS's - but
> > this could probably be the solution.
> >
> Connor mentioned this to me. However, I wonder if it will be
> usefull to have
> a real fork kind of thing. Using "&" in unix and "start" on windows.
> Do not know for other OSs.

The way I have done it so far is to only allow tasks to run async within the
context of a single target. At the end of the target all task threads are
joined and any exceptions in the individual threads are rethrown,
potentially causing the build to fail.

I think that is an appropriate level of async behaviour.

Conor