ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Paul Philion" <phil...@acmerocket.com>
Subject RE: GUI for Ant
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2000 14:28:21 GMT
Greeting...

Is it possible to create a third, separate license that is compatible with
both the APL and GPL?

- Paul Philion

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Smith [mailto:Michael.Smith@epiphany.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2000 10:19 AM
To: 'ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: RE: GUI for Ant

From: Walker Joe [mailto:Joe.Walker@barclaycard.co.uk]
> If anthill was dual licensed - APL/GPL then the projects could marry.
>
> Brian Behlendorf goes further and claims that you don't even need to
> dual-licence:
> http://mail.gnome.org/pipermail/foundation-list/2000-August/00
> 0674.html
>
> "the APL license *should* be compatible with the GPL ..., and
> I can state
> that the intent of the ASF is that people should be able to
> combine APL code
> with GPL. No need to dual-license."

(Yeah, this is probably pointless since the Anthill author has stated he
would use the APL.  This is more of an FYI...)

For those that don't actually go and read the post, the full quote is:

"As Frank noted, the APL license *should* be compatible with the GPL
(depending on whether you think the demand that you not call the
derivatives "Apache" without permission an additional constraint over and
above what the GPL would allow), and I can state that the intent of the
ASF is that people should be able to combine APL code with GPL.  No need
to dual-license."

The derivative thing is just one additional constraint in the APL.  The
bigger problem though is the "advertising" clause ("This product includes
software developed by the Apache Software Foundation
(http://www.apache.org)").  There is no need to ask RMS about it, as the
Free Software Foundation has already evaluated the APL to be incompatible
with GPL:

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/license-list.html#GPLIncompatibleLicenses

michael
---