ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Alex Smith" <asmit...@hotmail.com>
Subject Eager evaluation of properties
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2000 15:37:45 GMT
Hello,

I tried looking in the archives (covalent.net?) except that I couldn't find
them :)

I am trying to substitute a value twice where the second substitution is
based on the results of the first. This amounts to a recursive evaluation
and since I can't do this with tokens, I am trying a hack with properties.
It almost works except that I am being foiled by properties-evaluate-first
mechanism, even if I define a property after my first substitution that
generates the property file which contains the desired properties referenced
thereafter.

Concrete example: I have a file that looks like this

@myProperty.foo@=10
@myProperty.bar@=20
@myProperty.baz@=30

where 'foo', 'bar' and 'baz' are users on my box. I have another file that
looks like this

targetProperty=@myProperty@

and I want @myProperty@ to be replaced with '10' if I am user 'foo'. To this
end I copy the first file to a temporary location, substituting all tokens
that match @myProperty.foo@ with the string 'targetProperty'. Then I
reference this newly built property file with <property file="..."> and copy
the second file while substituting @myProperty@ with ${myProperty}. The last
step doesn't work because ${myProperty} is empty since the property task
read the file in before it was created...even though <property file="...">
is defined after the task that created the file referenced therein. (I also
trying explicit dependency instead of defining one after another in the same
task).

Help? I am running Ant 1.1

Thanks,

Alex