ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: refid in property
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2000 18:28:39 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@bost.de]

>  JAF> I think there are perfectly valid String versions for these
>  JAF> things:
>
>  JAF> - FileSet.toString() should return the white space separated
>  JAF> list of files like you would use in the <arg line="..."> of
>  JAF> <exec>.
>
> I'm not sure. Maybe will won't the excluded directories instead of the
> included files. OK, that's silly, but what about included directories
> - list them or not?
>
> Then you might prefer comma as a separator - and quoting of filenames
> that contain spaces ...
>
>  JAF> - Path.toString() should return the path in the correct format
>  JAF> for the OS.
>
> it does 8^)
>
>  JAF> About AntStructure, well souldn't it generate the DTD as the
>  JAF> string?
>
> But you are holding a reference to the AntStructure task, not its
> result. So toString would need to call execute first. Could be done,
> but do you think it would be useful (to have a property holding the
> DTD)?

The short answer is not really. :-(

BTW, talking about properties, I would very much like to have a way to say
that the String value of a property correspond to a filename which should be
made absolute when ${}'d. Today, if I define:

  <property name="myfile" value="this/is/file.ext" />

There is no why to guarantee that an expansion ${myfile} will expand to the
absolute path. This is a problem when for example composing arguments like
'-Dmyprop=${myfile}' in which case you want to force myfile to be
interpreted as a file and expanded appropriatelly.

I thought about using:

  <property name="myfile" file="this/is/file.ext" />

to convey this meaning, but this is kind of whaky since the file attribute
by itself is used to mean something else. What are other alternatives?
Can I define a one element FileSet and use it instead? A different attribute
name (need some names).

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Jose Alberto