ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <>
Subject RE: Redirecting output and background processes
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2000 20:04:47 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig []
>  JAF> 1) add an attribute for <echo> to write to a file.
> Sounds like a reasonable addition. One would probably want to do
> ${} replacement on text nested into <echo> then, right?
That is exactly my point. Actually I thought that was already happening, the
replacement, am I wrong?
>  JAF> 2) Add an attribute to the <exec> task to allow the process to
>  JAF> run in the background,
> Conor has some stuff in his "unfinished works" that would allow any
> task to be called in a different thread than the main build
> process. I'm not sure whether Ant would keep running while one thread
> in the same JVM is waiting on Runtime.exec to finish on all OS's - but
> this could probably be the solution.
Connor mentioned this to me. However, I wonder if it will be usefull to have
a real fork kind of thing. Using "&" in unix and "start" on windows.
Do not know for other OSs.

Jose Alberto

> Stefan

View raw message