ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Redirecting output and background processes
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2000 22:33:50 GMT
> From: Diane Holt [mailto:holtdl@yahoo.com]
>
> --- Jose  Alberto Fernandez <JFernandez@viquity.com> wrote:
> > 1) add an attribute for <echo> to write to a file. Or have an
> > <writefile> task.
> >     the idea is to be able to create small files based on
> the values of
> > different properties.
>
> You can already do that using <exec> with executable="echo".

This is not a portable solution. "echo" as an executable file may be
available in some OSs but not in all. Nevermind the overhead of creating a
complete new process just to print some lines.

> > 2) Add an attribute to the <exec> task to allow the process
> to run in
> > the background, independently of ANT
>
> Can you give an example of what you'd use that for?

I need to be able to start background processes, my server side code, so
that I can then execute clients against it, for testing.
This seen like a fairly basic functionality to have if we want to be able to
test complex situations.

Jose Alberto