ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Nordlund <peter.nordl...@lentus.se>
Subject Re: Problems with the javac task.
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:03:34 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> Nothing strange at all. B depends on A so javac compiles it as
> well. Just try javac B.java BB.java on the command line, it will
> compile A as well.

It is it is a major difference
between

javac -classpath . B.java BB.java

which compiles, and

javac B.java BB.java
B.java:3: Superclass A of class B not found.
class B extends A {}
                ^
1 error

which fails.

I dont know if Im wrong or right, but
if I have excluded files from compilation I expect them to not
come along for free.
I expect the behaviour of the 2nd example above.

To me, it feels like you cant control the include/exclude thing, if
files
that are not included or even EXPLICITLY excluded get compiled
automatically.

Now if Im wrong:
shouldnt ant output that it compiles 3 files?
The printout says
Compiling 2 source files to /home/petern/java/anttests/inc-exc

If it is not possible to get ant to output the number of files
actually compiled, maybe the output should be something like:

Found 2 source files for compilation

I think that would be less missleading.

---------
I think it would be a good Idea to have the -debug option
print out all files actually compiled AND written to disk,
this would be a really good debug help.
(Especially for my original problem which I couldnt provide
any example code for.)

Regards,
Peter