ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/src/main/org/apache/tools/ant Main.java Project.java
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2000 21:43:30 GMT
On a related note, while I'm thrilled to see more and
more people using Ant, I'm worried that we keep
adding subtle variations of the same thing just
to meet a specific need. Look at the number
of variations of "available" that have been proposed
in recent weeks, or the variety of logger issues, as
just two examples.

Or, someone submits a patch to add functionality that
is already there, they just didn't know it.

I believe the committers are doing a good job of
screening out duplicate work, but I still fear that
if we, as a group, aren't careful, we'll end up
with a 10,000 lb gorilla that can do the same thing
30 different ways, but can do anything well or
efficiently. Ant started out as a lean, mean, building
machine, and I hope we keep it that way rather than
burdening it with every subtle variation under the
sun. Some things belong IN ant, and some things belong
in the surrounding infrastructure in which ant is used.
We have to be careful to keep the line between the two
clean.

Well, enough soap box....