ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Bullock <dbull...@ardec.com.au>
Subject Re: Javac task running out of memory
Date Sat, 16 Sep 2000 00:14:01 GMT
Hi. See below.

Peter Donald wrote:

> At 06:43  15/9/00 -0500, you wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >We have a fairly large Java source tree (500+ *.java files in a dozen
> >packages/subpackages) which we would like to use Ant to build.
> >

> > after a minute
> >of two, the build fails with an OutOfMemoryError.  We think javac simply
> >has too many files to compile.
> >
> >Has this problem come up before?  Is there a good solution to this
> >problem (other than the obvious hacks: split the project into two,
> >increase the maximum memory size for javac)?
>
> well I use jikes to compile projects with about 1400 files - so that would
> definetly be an option :P. Otherwise you are left with splitting up the
> build :( or perhaps you could make java task launch a new process and pass
> flags to alow the JVM to use more memory

You could also not fork, and just give more memory to the JVM running Ant.
Use the -ms and -mx flags to the 'java' command in the ant script file, or
set the $JAVACMD environment variable that that script uses, in your .antrc,

  setenv JAVACMD "/my/path/to/java -ms128 -mx128"

--
David Bullock
Project Leader

"It's no use saying 'We are doing our best.'  You
have got to succeed in doing what's necessary."
    ...Winston Churchill

LISAsoft
http://www.lisa.com.au/

Adelaide                  Sydney
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000
Australia                 Australia

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866