ant-dev mailing list archives

From Weiqi Gao <weiqi...@networkusa.net>
Subject Javac task running out of memory
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2000 23:43:59 GMT
Hi,

We have a fairly large Java source tree (500+ *.java files in a dozen
packages/subpackages) which we would like to use Ant to build.

Our first try of the obvious solution:

<project name="foo" default="compile">
  <target name="compile">
    <javac srcdir="./src" destdir="./classes" />
  </target>
</project>

caused Ant to report "compiling 539 java files", and then after a minute
of two, the build fails with an OutOfMemoryError.  We think javac simply
has too many files to compile.

Has this problem come up before?  Is there a good solution to this
problem (other than the obvious hacks: split the project into two,
increase the maximum memory size for javac)?

--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@networkusa.net