ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <Jesse.Gl...@netbeans.com>
Subject Re: Where to place stand alone data types like <path>?
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:25:44 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> Given that the reference mechanism in Ant is a global one (and
> antstructure claims it would sit on top of the XML ID attribute type -
> which means the id must be unique 8^), I'd say make <path> and friends
> a sibling of <target> and only allow them to be placed there and not
> inside of <target>s. This would avoid the confusion of <property> as
> well.

But most of the time you want anonymous <path> and so on, I think, and
you do not need an ID for it, nor do you want to place it far away from
the context of the task it is intended for... maybe: if <path> or a
similar data element occurs inside a task *and* has an ID set, issue a
mild warning that it is better style to put it at top level. Issue the
same warning for <property> inside targets.

-Jesse

--
Jesse Glick   <mailto:Jesse.Glick@netbeans.com>
tel (+4202) 3300-9161 Sun Micro x49161 Praha CR