ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jesse Glick <Jesse.Gl...@netbeans.com>
Subject Re: When's the next stable release?
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2000 15:19:19 GMT
Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>  PD> * Notion of objects that are not Strings can be used
>  PD> as attributes of tasks. (ie you can have Files/FileSets/etc)
>
> I hope I'm getting this completed in the next few days for PATH like
> structures, filesets and patternset. I.e. add <path>, <fileset> and
> <patternset> elements that can be used outside of tasks.
>
> We will have to agree whether they should be placed inside <target>s
> or outside, though. As the id attribute has to be unique within the
> XML file anyway, I'd go for outside of <targets> (i.e. global).

Global scope sounds ideal. Any thought given to abstracting the notion
of referrable data types from an API perspective? I.e. to avoid making
too many changes in the core classes in the future, as well as enabling
richer optional tasks: make some abstract base class for types (FileSet,
Path, etc.), where instances are configured from XML by introspection as
usual (ProjectHelper should add a reference to the project if id="..."
is set); and something like <typedef> analogous to <taskdef> letting you
plug in new types, giving the implementing class name and the XML
element name. And of course make AntStructure understand them too.

-Jesse

--
Jesse Glick   <mailto:Jesse.Glick@netbeans.com>
tel (+4202) 3300-9161 Sun Micro x49161 Praha CR