ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pjdon...@cs.latrobe.edu.au>
Subject Re: Problems with the javac task.
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:33:08 GMT
At 12:03  29/9/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>
>> Nothing strange at all. B depends on A so javac compiles it as
>> well. Just try javac B.java BB.java on the command line, it will
>> compile A as well.
>
>It is it is a major difference
>between
>
>javac -classpath . B.java BB.java
>
>which compiles, and
>
>javac B.java BB.java
>B.java:3: Superclass A of class B not found.
>class B extends A {}
>                ^
>1 error

>which fails.

yep but it is not classpath we set but the srcpath.

>I dont know if Im wrong or right, but
>if I have excluded files from compilation I expect them to not
>come along for free.

Impossible to do without rewriting the compiler or alternatively making it
untuitive for other cases.

>I expect the behaviour of the 2nd example above.
>
>To me, it feels like you cant control the include/exclude thing, if
>files
>that are not included or even EXPLICITLY excluded get compiled
>automatically.

anything in srcpath is compiled on demand as thats the way compilers work.

>Now if Im wrong:
>shouldnt ant output that it compiles 3 files?

impossible to do ;(

>The printout says
>Compiling 2 source files to /home/petern/java/anttests/inc-exc
>
>If it is not possible to get ant to output the number of files
>actually compiled, maybe the output should be something like:
>
>Found 2 source files for compilation

good idea.

>I think it would be a good Idea to have the -debug option
>print out all files actually compiled AND written to disk,

Not possible unless underlying compiler offers such functionality.

Cheers,

Pete