ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Licencing [was RE: GUI for Ant]
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2000 11:17:50 GMT
Hi,

At 12:22  26/9/00 -0700, you wrote:
>One thing I noticed on all this discussion is the fact that the FSF has all
>this pages advising people on the use of their licensing model and to avoid
>licensing using ASF. On the other hand I have not seen any pointers to
>similar analysis on apache.org telling our side of the story and telling the
>advantages of ASF style licenses in particular with Java.
>
>I can understand why misinformed people will finish using GLP, because they
>go and read around and nothing is telling them what they loose with GLP or
>gain with ASF.
>
>I think every jakarta/apache project should have in their home page a
>pointer on "how to create OSS projects that use this work" in which we
>explin to people to use ASF (or to not use GLP unless you understand you are
>limiting who can use your stuff).

This is a great idea !!

I am forwarding it to the people who I know sit on PMC they should be in a
position to examine the exact consequences of choices etc. They are also in
best position to get such a move going.

>And we should also explain that LGPL is useless for java projects.

I believe the GNU project (or FSF in particular) has already documented
this somewhere. Thou we should probably link to it.

Cheers,

Pete