ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Redirecting output of one (or more) tasks?
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2000 12:24:49 GMT
At 03:43  25/9/00 +0200, you wrote:
> NS> It opens ant to things we don't want to have (for example
> NS> <conditional if="..."> <task1/> <task2/> </conditional>
)

> NS> So what do you think?
>
>I'd word this as "things we don't want to have in the core of Ant".

I would agree.

>I really don't feel like forcing my view of the world on everybody
>else, so if anybody wants to write a task that does loops, switch like
>constructs whatever, go ahead - in your private copy.

Or even build it into a frontend to Ant. I have said this before I would
love to see a frontend that takes a file (say build.mmk) and then
transforms it (via SAX/CSS2) and then feeds it into ant. So Ant reads
stream/SAX events and then works on that.

So you would have

build.mmk --> transforms (via SAX) --> (build.xml compatable input stream)
--> ant

Trust me I like the idea of if/while/loops etc but I really don't think ant
is the place to do it. There has been a lot of other people who have asked
for this so I guess it is in demand. However I would hate to see it in core.

Cheers,

Pete