ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Ant-Extension-Mechanism - Step 1
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2000 13:16:29 GMT
At 01:06  20/9/00 +0200, you wrote:
> CM> but I am curous as to why the servlet spec uses WEB-INF for wars?
>
>Especially since servlet containers must hide META-INF directories if
>they exist as well.
>
>I guess they wanted to physically separate the information about the
>JAR itself (everything with regard to signing the JAR for example)
>from the information about the web application contained.

It's more because WARs are only meant as deployment packages. ie you drop a
war into right place and it is installed. It can be installed to any place
(tomcat unzips it in same directory) and during this installation the
WEB-INF is not unpacked as it is specific to jar and not the "package"

Cheers,

Pete