ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: Ant-Extension-Mechanism - Step 1
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:58:36 GMT
Hi,

At 11:34  20/9/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Before I go further I wanted to know if the following format for
>Ant-Extension files (generated with the TaskLib-Task) is acceptable for you
>all?
>
>It currently will only support dynamic loading of task, no checking for
>other required libs and so on.
>
>As others suggested the usage of special ClassLoaders introduced in JDK 1.2+
>and/or the usage of MANIFEST.MF, I just dropped these ideas, because (1) we
>need to implement different behaviour depending of the JVM used (if we do it
>our own we can always do the same) and (2) I don't think you can easyly (and
>in a readable way) use MANIFEST.MF to do other things in the furure (check
>for required libs and so on) - this must be why there is a WEB.XML instead
>just using MANIFEST.MF :-)

It looks good for what it does

* you implement your own outputter - is that just so you can use any
arbitary xml-parser ?
* There is no way to include task documentation. As yet Ant doesn't have
any standard format thou I assume in future it will go to a stylebook type
formaty and thus it would be nice to do something like

ant --install-task myTask.tsk

and that would copy out xml or html fragments so you could read about the
tasks instead of guessing what the tasklib contains. It may even be
possible to include DTD or Schema fragments for those who want them ????

other than that I like :P

Cheers,

Pete