ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject RE: Defining task-specific properties - what "namespace" should I use?
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2000 05:36:07 GMT
At 12:03  14/9/00 -0700, you wrote:
>--- Conor MacNeill <conor@m64.com> wrote:
>> What I had thought would work would be to define configurations for
>> certain tasks
>>
>> <taskconfig task="javac">
>> 	<attribute name="compiler" value="Jikes"/>
>> 	<attribute name="pedantic" value="on"/>
>> </taskconfig>
>>
>> Effectively these attributes would be set by default for the task when
>> it is executed. They could then be overridden on a per-task basis. If
>> you know that Jikes can't compile something, you could force a classic
>> compile, etc.
>
>I love this idea!

I think I do to but I have this icky feeling that it could lead us down the
patth of needing ./configure like scripts to configure build tools. Not
sure if thats a good thing. The CSS approach doesn't have that problem as
it can only touch attributes of things that already exist and can not be
used as a generic task configuration tool while this could possibly make
build file depend on settings in the per-user configuration :/

>I have this one source-file that, when I compile it
>using the vcafe compiler (sj), doesn't get the run-time error I get when I
>compile it with jikes (Register 4 contains wrong type. BTW: Wrong forum, I
>know, but has anyone else ever hit that JVM error? I could really use a
>pointer to what might be causing it). If we had this feature available, I
>could have that one file get compiled with sj as a workaround until I
>figure out what the problem is.

it means the byte codes produced are invalid or the JVM thinks they are
invalid. If you are not using latest jikes get that - otherwise check other
JVMs with -verify parameter and see what they say. If no problems crop up
then it is a JVM bug.

Cheers,

Pete