ant-dev mailing list archives

From Walker Joe <Joe.Wal...@barclaycard.co.uk>
Subject RE: Source code task
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2000 10:18:44 GMT

>  WJ> PROPOSED    VSS         CVS         StarTeam     P4
>  WJ> -----------------------------------------------------------
>  WJ> action      writable    command     [implied]    [implied]
>  WJ> recursive   recursive   [illegal]   recursion    recursive
>  WJ> version     version     tag         [illegal]    version
>  WJ> date        date        date        [illegal]    [illegal]
>  WJ> label       label       [illegal]   [illegal]    [illegal]
>  WJ> force       [illegal]   [illegal]   force        force
>  WJ> localpath   localpath   dest        targetFolder [illegal]
>  WJ> noise       verbose     quiet       verbose      [illegal]
>  WJ> server      login       cvsRoot     various      server
>  WJ> includes    [illegal]   [illegal]   includes     [illegal]
>  WJ> excludes    [illegal]   [illegal]   excludes     [illegal]
>  WJ> project     vsspath     package     various      [illegal]
>  WJ> config      ssdir       [ignored]   [ignored]    p4dir
>

> I don't know enough about any of the systems but CVS, so I can only
> comment on this column.
>
>  WJ> Format of action attribute: [get|put|edit]
>
> This is not good enough for current cvs usage. Most of the time I use
> command="update -d -P" which is not really equivalent to get - that
> would be command="checkout" I think.

[quick scan thru the man pages]
I think there is a terminology problem. By 'get', I meant get-read-only and
by 'edit' I meant get-for-edit. The difference being that for the latter the
file is made writable on disk, and in some systems the file would be locked.
I'd guess that action="get" would be the same as command="update -d -P" and
action="edit" would be the same as command="checkout"

Maybe I should have said:
  Format of action attribute: [get-read-only|get-for-edit|put|delete]

> I don't know why writable for VSS is in the actions column, I would
> have thought it would map to cvs -r command which is "readonly" and
> doesn't have a corresponding attribute in the task yet.

My understanding is that writable turns a get-read-only into a get-for-edit.

> cvs's tag is both, version and label - maybe allow both attributes and
> map them to "cvs command -r tag"?

Sound's OK.

> What does force do?

Overwrites writable files something like "cvs update -c" if I understand the
docs correctly.

> includes and excludes could be useful for "cvs commit" or "cvs diff".

Agreed.

> config should be available in cvs as well. "cvs -b bindir" would serve
> the same purpose ssdir does in vssget.

Yes. It may be better to have provider specific config options since I don't
imagine there will be a good mapping here.

Joe.

Legal Disclaimer:-

Please be aware that messages sent over
the Internet may not be secure and should
not be seen as forming a legally binding
contract unless otherwise stated.