ant-dev mailing list archives

From Walker Joe <Joe.Wal...@barclaycard.co.uk>
Subject RE: Source code task
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2000 12:55:10 GMT

I agree that moving between source code control systems is non-trivial - the
motivation however is more do to with simplicity for the user. VSS or P4
users can not benefit from using any CVS examples that came with ant's
build.xml.

The real debate here is - how similar are CVS and VSSGET. While I agree that
the ant tasks _as defined_ are not identical - they could be a lot closer
than they are. The fundamental concepts are get/edit/put on version X of
file Y.

There is no reason why CVS (and P4) can not have recursive="true" and no
reason why VSSGET can not have quiet="true". The differences are due to the
implementations of the tasks not due to the nature of the underlying
systems.

I agree that there may be some concepts that are difficult - the cvs cvsroot
seems to cover the vss ssdir/vsspath/login ideas, there may be more. However
I don't think that this makes things impossible - harder to program yes. It
makes things easier for the user - and that is more important than easier to
program, IMHO.

Joe.

Legal Disclaimer:-

Please be aware that messages sent over
the Internet may not be secure and should
not be seen as forming a legally binding
contract unless otherwise stated.