ant-dev mailing list archives

From Walker Joe <Joe.Wal...@barclaycard.co.uk>
Subject Source code task
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2000 14:28:45 GMT

I'm wanting to write a Perforce task.
Perforce is a source code control thing like CVS, and VSS. I don't think it
will be too hard, but I have an implementation question.

The javac task is nice, IMHO, because I can swap between 1.2, 1.3, and jikes
with the flip of a switch - this has been very useful on a number of
occasions. It would also be useful to be able to switch between source
control providers with similar ease.

The alternative is that as more support is written for different source
control systems we end up with tens of different tasks all of which work
differently. (Quick mental tally - CVS, SCCS, RCS, P4, VSS, PVCS, Team
Connection, Clearcase, JavaSafe, ...)
This could make for ant's task list being very complex, when the "Java Way"
seems to be a simpler lowest common denominator approach.

Does this sound sensible?

In the short term I'm going to start on a P4 task.

Joe.

Legal Disclaimer:-

Please be aware that messages sent over
the Internet may not be secure and should
not be seen as forming a legally binding
contract unless otherwise stated.