ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Newbie Question
Date Sun, 24 Sep 2000 10:15:09 GMT
--- Conor MacNeill <conor@m64.com> wrote:
> ant won't take care of it but the underlying compiler used by ant
> should. By
> that I mean the compiler will find pkg1/file.java when compiling
> corefile1.java and compile it if necessary. It will not, however,
> necessarily recompile corefile1.java if pkg1/file.java is updated.

You could probably use the <uptodate> task to force such a relationship,
using the classfiles for "source"(s) and "target". You'd need to set up
your compile targets to depend on the target doing the <uptodate> and on a
conditional based on the property <uptodate> sets, but it might be worth
experimenting with it to see if it does what you need.

> I should also add that the Java language spec does not encourage the use
> of the unamed package.
>
> "Unnamed packages are provided by the Java platform principally for
> convenience when developing small or temporary applications or when just
> beginning development. "

A-ha -- then my "unnamed packages" are within the guidelines afterall --
they're just little standalone demo apps. :)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)