ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Wishlist of make like features.
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2000 01:32:48 GMT
--- Peter Nordlund <peter.nordlund@lentus.se> wrote:
> Stefan Bodewig wrote:
> > You mean "[copydir] Copying 2 files to x/y/z" but don't do
> > anything.
>
> Yes that is exactly what I mean.
>
> > This might be trivial to implement but we'd need to modify
> > every single task (well, <echo> might go unchanged).

I don't know much of anything about Ant's internals (I'm still just
working on figuring it out from the end-user level :), and maybe it's a
Java thing (which I'm also completely new to), but this surprises me. If
I'd had to make a guess, I'd have guessed that tasks did all the
task-specific grunt work, and then, assuming everything was satisfied and
ready to go, they would've handed off whatever they'd bundled up for the
task over to Ant's core to do the actual execution. And which is why, when
I saw this thread, I was expecting the response to be that adding a -n
type flag to Ant would probably be pretty straightforward -- just add it
as a flag to the Ant command-line (tasks would still do their thing as
always, and Ant's core would just print out rather than execute what it
was being told by the tasks it needed to run). I was really looking
forward to that happening, since being able to "dry run" things is
something I've come to rely on for debugging big, complicated build
processes.

So, if Ant's probably not going to have that capability (or at least not
anytime soon), does anyone have any debugging tips using Ant that they can
pass along? (I know about -verbose, but so far that hasn't been as useful
as I'd have liked -- but maybe I'm just not yet used to using what it's
giving me.)

Thanks,
Diane

=====