ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Julian M. Savage" <jsav...@fisci.com>
Subject Re: Eager evaluation of properties
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2000 09:00:19 GMT
I have a similar need, but I took a slightly different approach. I'm not
sure whether the following works on 1.1 or not - I'm using 1.2alpha3 or
something.

It looks like you might be defining different port numbers for different
developers on the same machine. That's my need, in any case.

I wrote a perl script which creates a simple properties file for each user
in their home directory, with slightly different values for each user, and
once the initial version is created, they can modify it to suit themselves.
Of course, new users will have to create their own configuration files (or
run the script), but then, at least you won't have to change your build file
every time a new developer joins your project.

In addition I made it so that the user can override the name of the property
file itself, so that if they want to make different builds in different
directories with slightly different options, they can do it quickly by
writing a couple of different property files.

ie:
<project name="myproject" default="compile" basedir=".">
    <property name="pref.file" value="${user.home}/.ant.preferences"/>
    <property file="${pref.file}"/>

    <!-- Start defining project properties. -->

</project>

ant -Dpref.file=ant-set1 dist
ant -Dpref.file=ant-set2 dist

Julian.