ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <>
Subject RE: EJB Tasks
Date Wed, 06 Sep 2000 11:00:37 GMT

> Just looking over the EJB Tasks (from Sept 3)and have a few comments
> (nice work Tim & Conor):
> 1) It would be really useful if ejbjar could take a list of
> dependent/ancillary classes that should also be packaged into the Jar.
> How is everyone else packaging up ancillary classes?

An interesting question. From a weblogic perspective, I do not think support
classes (ancillary classes) can be "hot deployed". For this reason I'm not
sure whether putting them in the jar is that useful. We also have a number
of beans (and jars) some of which share support classes. So far we have been
putting the support classes together in a jar and adding that to the server
classpath. I'm not sure if there is a better solution. I have talked to a
few other people and they seem to be using the same approach. If anyone has
another approach, I'd be interested to hear it.

> 2) The AppServer specific classes: WLStop, WLStart,
> WeblogicDeploymentTool, DDCreator, DDCreatorHelper, Ejbc, EjbcHelper
> should probably reside in an ejb.weblogic package. This clearly allows
> for expansion for other AppServers.

Fair enough. My only issue is that this makes the package namespace deeper
and sparser and it is not clear where to stop - should there be a wl451 and
a wl510 package below ejb.weblogic. For now I'd be happy to have support for
more app servers and just have them live in the same package space with
appropriate if/unless controls.

With the ejbjar task, I've tried to make it easy to add support for other
app servers. I'm hoping that someone can build on what is there and
contribute components for other app servers that can plug into ejbjar.

> William Ferguson

View raw message