ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Conor MacNeill" <>
Subject RE: Couple of mods to <javac>
Date Tue, 12 Sep 2000 13:27:12 GMT

> but it doesn't work for files that aren't part of a package.
> Those files should be able to live in the source tree wherever it makes
> sense for them to, since the compilers don't require they live any
> particular place -- but currently, <javac> does.

Well, actually the compilers will assume that classes in the default package
live at the root of the source tree. When that is the case it can handle
dependencies which involve those classes. In other words, from my point of
view, the only place that makes sense for classes in the default package to
reside is at the root of the source tree. Of course, I don't know what other
considerations come into play in your environment but I wonder why classes
in the default package exist in other parts of your tree. You say that makes
sense, but I'm not sure how.

> Since the behaviour I added is only turned on when the "flatten" attribute
> is set to true, it's something you'd have to specifically ask for in order
> to get. So presumably, people would only ever do that when it was the
> right thing to do.

To me it would allow people to adopt what I feel is a bad practice. I guess
I'd like to see if anyone else wants it before we would go ahead.

> On the subject of the other change I made: Did you have any feelings about
> the "listfiles" stuff? It's also behaviour you'd specifically have to ask
> for, so it seems pretty safe to include.

well verbose IS verbose so I see no real harm in it.

View raw message