ant-dev mailing list archives

From Matthew Kuperus Heun <matthew.k.h...@gaerospace.com>
Subject JShell, ant and jlink
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2000 02:01:52 GMT
Patrick:

It appears that I'm travelling down some paths that you've already
tread.  I just signed up on ant-dev and was pleased to find you
there.  JShell is looking more and more attractive, and I'm
considering moving over to using it, chiefly because of the tools
that can be run there.  I have a few questions.

(1)  Have you successfully been using ant in JShell?  Are there some
pointers that you could give me for setting that up?  (No ant command
is included in the distribution of JShell that I have.)

(2) I'm looking for a tool that will merge the contents of a
"library" jar file with .class files that I want to put into a jar.
Will jlink do this?  Where can I find some details on jlink?

Cheers,

Matt

>At 8:30 AM +1000 8/1/00, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>>  > beard@netscape.com wrote:
>>  > So, the javadoc task runs in a separate VM? Why? Javac doesn't, so I
>>>  don't see why javadoc should. Is it because you need to manipulate
>>>  working directories?
>>>
>>No,
>>
>>it is because javadoc calls System.exit(). Itmay be possible to use a loader
>>and a security manager to avoid that but I don't know if it is worth the
>>effort.
>
>JShell disallows that by using a custom version of the System class
>that it provides via class loader. Ant could probably use the same
>approach.
>
>- Patrick
>--
>
>// Patrick C. Beard
>// Java Runtime Enthusiast -- "Will invoke interfaces for food."
>// mailto:beard@netscape.com

Matthew Kuperus Heun
Global Aerospace Corporation
+1 (978) 922-7115 (voice & fax)