ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck ...@adolos.com>
Subject [suggestion] re: Bootstrapping Ant
Date Mon, 07 Aug 2000 14:06:02 GMT
I've probably got this wrong - It wouldn't be the first time!

As far as I understand it, if you download the Ant source you have to
build it the first time using a two stage build process using two different
shell scripts which are currently maintained to run under Windows and
Unix.  These scripts rely on the pre-existence of Java and the java
compiler.

Why on earth are we using highly platform specific shell scripts to build
a package that was created to allow cross platform builds to be platform
non-specific?

Why don't we insist that the CVS source includes a sufficiently up to date
ant.jar (and required libraries) to be able to build itself using itself.
This may make the source distribution larger but it seems to make a lot
more sense to me at least!

Any thoughts?

Have I lost my trolley?

Stuart.