ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <dun...@x180.com>
Subject Re: Extending ant from within ant
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2000 23:56:52 GMT
on 7/31/00 10:43 PM, Patrick Beard at beard@netscape.com wrote:

> What I'd really like to do is to define a task, say "buildtool" that
> would be composed of sub-tasks, mkdir, javac, and jlink. Of course,
> I'd want to define a jlink subtask in terms of exec, as I've done
> above. Is this possible with ant currently?

It is through the programmatic interfaces, but not via the build xml
semantics. For example, you could provide a builtool task that took a bunch
of args and called the mkdir, javac, and whatever else task code directly.
Perfectly OO. :)

Why would you want to exec the jlink functionality. I know that you've got
this cool execution engine, but if there were a jlink task that directly
used the jlink functionality via programmatic interfaces, it's a big win on
not having to start a VM and deal with the subtle issues involved in execs
between all the platforms.

> Another idea I'd like to explore is using Rhino JavaScript (big
> surprise) to provide scripting within a build.xml file.

Should already be enabled thanks to Sam Ruby. He's probably already piped
up.

.duncan