ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <dun...@x180.com>
Subject Re: Utah
Date Wed, 02 Aug 2000 05:21:04 GMT
on 8/1/00 3:38 PM, Eugen Kuleshov at euxx@home.com wrote:

> I've read your document whiteboard\utah\design guide.xml from current
> Ant snapshot. There are great ideas.

Actually, the Utah stuff is superceed by the "spec" document which is also
in the repository. But thanks ! :)

> But I have just small comment. How
> about create DTD for build.xml file. It helps to validate build.xml
> strucrure and make much simplier creating GUI tools for managing
> build.xml

By design, the build.xml file can't have a DTD that works in all case. The
structure would have to change. There is a tool in the current distribution
that lets you build a DTD from a set of tasks that will work.

Most of the recent editors to come out are starting to acknowledge that XML
has powerful uses that aren't 1:1 compatible with DTDs. For example, the new
XMetal allows creating XML docs that don't have a DTD.

In any case, please continue this conversation on the Ant-Dev mailing list.
I don't really like having technical discussions on Ant outside of that
forum. :)

.duncan