ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Including other antfiles
Date Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:00:26 GMT
> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@bost.de]

>  JAF> The only meaningful thing in my opinion is for properties in the
>  JAF> subproject to supercede any properties of the same name in the
>  JAF> calling project, except for those properties mentioned within
>  JAF> the calling <ant> task.
>
> This opinion seems to be shared by a lot of people and I tend to
> agree, but would add properties the user has defined by command line
> parameters to the list of properties that should supersede sub project
> properties. This way I can make sure -Djava.compiler=jikes will use
> Jikes on all sub projects as well.

Well I would argue you can get the same effect by doing:
    <ant .......>
	<property name="java.compiler" value="${java.compiler}" />
    </ant>

My point is that in general the meaning of property "X" in project "A" has
no relation with the meaning of property "A" on subproject "B". This is true
whether you set it in the command line or not. And hence we shouldn't
generalize.

I could envision having a magic property "ant.inherit" whose value is a list
of properties that should be inherited from project to subproject as an
implicit declaration as above, you could set that on your preference
property file the same way some people set "java.compiler" today.

Jose Alberto