ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ken Wood <kw...@i2.com>
Subject Re: Does ANT help with classic dependancy problem?
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2000 13:40:30 GMT

Conor MacNeill wrote:

> A quick summary would be
>
> 1. integrate into Javac task and have it automatically handle the
> dependencies
> 2. separate dependency analysis into a separate task with an auxillary file
> which can be used by Javac task. Since dependencies change more slowly than
> code this can save time when javac'ing

Just FYI there is/was a tool called 'javadep' written by a student
at a university in Canada. I used it some. Problem is, it creates
makefile specific output, and it doesn't comprehend 'include' and
'exclude', but if anyone wanted to tackle this, the author may
be willing to provide his code. Last time I looked, he'd become
too busy to 'support' it anymore. Also, it depended on having
a java parser available, so it probably would need updating to
comprehend the latest jdk 1.2 and 1.3 syntax...

> 3. Have dependency analysis and checking separate, cleaning up generated
> files that are out of date. This leavs the javac task as it is now
> 4. Its a compiler issue (a Javac limitation) which should not be dealt with
> by ant

No, this I disagree with. C compiler, C++ compiler, Fortan compiler, any
compiler - it compiles what you give it. The relationship, i.e.
dependency,
between files, and thus the order in which you invoke the compiler on a
sequence of files to compile, is NOT a compiler issue, it's the build
infrastructure's job. At least, IMHO...

For now, we do what everyone else does... clean, compile...

-ken