ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@mad.scientist.com>
Subject Re: When's the next stable release?
Date Wed, 16 Aug 2000 12:54:10 GMT
At 07:07  16/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm reading through this e-mail list, and getting notification of CVS
>submissions, and quite frankly, I'm amazed at the amount of churn for the
>Ant product.  Great going!
>
>My question is, when will ant be releasing the next milestone build,
>possibly 1.2?  What are the plans for rel 1.2 and for 2.0, or is there a
>game plan at all?

I aren't a comiiter but I estimate there is at least a few months before it
happens. Both Conor and Stefan (especially Stefan) have been putting in a
bit of work but there is still a bit more to go :P.

Game plan was in spec document a while back but it has subtly shifted and I
believe the only written place is in mail archive. Basically from what I
can tell the following are the major shifts.

* Everything gets interpreted at runtime - including property expansion.
* Notion of objects that are not Strings can be used as attributes of
tasks. (ie you can have Files/FileSets/etc)
* Notion of "Sets" added so you can have classpath sets, path sets,
proeprty sets etc.
* load things through classloader so there is less having ugly hacks for
java tools that work in different classpaths
* Homogenize the patterns in base tasks so that they all work similarly.
* add more error checking in tasks (some currently fail silently)

there is prolly other things but those are the ones from head right now :p

Cheers,

Pete