ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: Extending ant from within ant
Date Tue, 01 Aug 2000 05:50:13 GMT
At 10:43  31/7/00 -0700, you wrote:
>I'm interested in a couple of ideas that are somewhat along the lines
>of what XSLT (XSL Transformations) is supposed to support. I'd like
>to be able to define tasks in XML that correspond to combinations of
>other tasks. For example, to build a tool for JShell, I have the
>following generic pattern:

there has been a demand for similar things in ant recently.

>What I'd really like to do is to define a task, say "buildtool" that
>would be composed of sub-tasks, mkdir, javac, and jlink. Of course,
>I'd want to define a jlink subtask in terms of exec, as I've done
>above. Is this possible with ant currently?

yes as you have done it above but as a more complex approach is noyt possible.

>Another idea I'd like to explore is using Rhino JavaScript (big
>surprise) to provide scripting within a build.xml file. We could then
>define additional tasks dynamically in terms of scripts. Much of the
>currently built-in tasks could be recast in terms of scripts, where

actually that is already possible. The BSF is used in script task to offer
said functionality.  From one of Sam Rubies posts :

   <project name="squares" default="main" basedir=".">

     <target name="setup">

         for (i=1; i<=10; i++) {
           echo = squares.createTask("echo");

       ]]> </script>