ant-dev mailing list archives

From Russell Gold <russg...@acm.org>
Subject Re: Working Directory Woes ... or Not ?
Date Wed, 05 Jul 2000 21:15:39 GMT
At 10:33 PM -0400 7/4/00, Peter Donald wrote:
>If I haven't missed anything this could be implemented in ant no ? Then we
>would no longer have to set ant home because everything could be done via
>class-loaders and this no ? (Except for rare occasions when need to change
>security manager, connection factory or whatever multiple times for
>different tasks).

I have now realized that I don't understand what you mean by your reference to class loaders.
AFAIK, the primary purpose of the working directory is to serve as a starting point for file
paths. Class loaders work a bit differently, and the default one appears to work in a system-dependant
fashion. Note: there is also a java.class.path property, but it is not clear what the effects
are of changing it. Perhaps someone with a copy of the Java language spec knows...

Russell Gold                     | "... society is tradition and order
russgold@acm.org    (preferred)  | and reverence, not a series of cheap
russgold@netaxs.com              | bargains between selfish interests."
rgold@thesycamoregroup.com       |   - Poul Anderson, "Iron"