ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Some thoughts about runtime evaluation of properties
Date Wed, 26 Jul 2000 13:39:37 GMT

 PP> I would really prefer to see properties, including ${}, get
 PP> evaluated at runtime.

Guess we are close to starting a vote on this.

 PP> When code requests project.getProperty("lib.dir"), the
 PP> PropertySheet recognizes that the property is an unresolved
 PP> (complex? dependant?)  property and does the immediate
 PP> substitution before returning the property.

I didn't go that far in my line of thought. I was thinking of delaying
${} expansion to the point where the task in question was going to be
executed, basically storing the AttributeSet from the build file
together with the task in target and call ProjectHelper.configure
on the task right before Task.execute is called.

This would also mean

<property name="lib.dir" value="${build.dir}/lib"/>

had a fixed value, constructed from the value build.dir had when this
task (if you want to call <property> a task) was executed.

Stefan