ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: TimeStamp dependent target execution
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 10:19:51 GMT

 MS> The only observation would be that automatically adding the
 MS> source file to the command line is hazardous.

I see what you mean. As I said, I was just developing the idea as I
typed.

I have no idea how to make that easier to write/read, your idea of
magic property names would work but I'd prefer to see something
different - without properties or patterns would be the best of course
8^).

I've been meaning to split up the command part anyway, make nested
elements from them to remove the problems spaces inside args would
make etc.

<transform command="jade">
  <arg text="-t" />
  <arg text="rtf" />

you get the idea?

Maybe you could place the source and dest elements right between those
arg elements - just where you'd specify source and destination on the
command line?

 >> The last part (pattern stuff) needs a bit of thought ...

 MS> The matching mechanism should provide a one-to-one pairing
 MS> between the elements of two sets.

Yes, that what I had in mind. I guess regular expressions would solve
almost all possible matching problems on earth but could make simple
problems rather difficult to express - *.java is a lot easier than
.*\.java$ to a lot of people.

Stefan