ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: subsitution in file names
Date Tue, 04 Jul 2000 13:42:08 GMT

 >> BTW, what will be instead of properties in a future version?

 PD> No idea - no one will give me a straight answer :P

Hmm, I guess the better question was "what will replace the ${}
property expansion mechanism?" - and no, you won't get a straight
answer either 8^).

I don't think that we are going to drop properties, they will be
transformed into different beasts though.

I don't have a clear picture of it myself yet, but I can share a few
things - not all of them have been discussed or even been agreed on.

* Properties are going to be rich objects like filesets, patternsets, objects, ...

* Expanding properties should not be the parser's responsibility, put
it into the task is my current favorite. Something along the lines of

<javac dest.dir.ref="build.classes" ...>

where the .ref indicated that build.classes was the name (or ID) of a
property and not a filename. The javac task would know that it was
handed a reference and ask Project for a property named src.dir as
soon as it's going to be executed.

This is very vague, I know.

View raw message