ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@bost.de>
Subject Re: Why Properties became immutable
Date Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:35:18 GMT

 KL> That's the beauty of Ant.  It's really easy for everyone to be
 KL> able to understand what is going on with a basic familiarity with
 KL> Ant.  And others aren't afraid to add to the build.xml files
 KL> because the syntax is fairly simple.

Yes and that's why we want to keep it that way.

What I envision right now is to move the ${} evaluation to execution
time, making properties mutable on the same hierarchical level as
Conor suggested and finally make antcall (or calltarget or whatever)
actually call another target within the same project - without
creating a new one on the fly.

This would enable the old

<target>
  <property name="foo" value="bar" />
  <task attribute="${foo}" />
</target>

<target>
  <property name="foo" value="baz" />
  <task attribute="${foo}" />
</target>

style, and antcall could even show an easy way to achive the same
without copy'n'paste.

Stefan