ant-dev mailing list archives

From Mariusz Nowostawski <mari...@marni.otago.ac.nz>
Subject RE: Incremental Compilation and ant
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2000 04:57:52 GMT
> >> I used to be of opinion that we should do this but I can't see any reason
> >> to at all anymore. Classfile analysis is probably the best of a bunch of
> >> bad choices. The reason is that the building of dependancies will end up
> >> being *slower* than deleting the whole tree and recompiling using
> >> jikes !!!
> >
> >Peter, Well I know you like Jikes :-) Not everyone, however, chooses to use
> >Jikes. I would like to see whether everyone not using Jikes is content to
> >delete their whole tree to guarantee that their compilations are valid.
>
> True but it seems like adding an ugly hack to Ant to workaround faults in
> shoddy compilers. *sigh* :P

Why somebody might not want to use jikes? ;o)
I share the opinion of Peter and Barrie at the current moment.
-1
However, if it really really need to be done, 3. would be for me the good
choice, i.e. dependency task which deletes the out-of-date class files,
and has nothing to do as such with javac task.